The week beginning Monday the first of June is National Volunteer Week. Cogges relies heavily on its volunteers and I thought I’d take this opportunity to write about the roles played by our dedicated team of volunteers. I’ve been a volunteer at Cogges since it re-opened in 2011. I work on the welcome desk and […]
Author Archive | isabel
Ever struggled, when in a difficult situation, to figure out what’s the best thing to do? I know I have. There’s been many times when I literally found it hard to, ‘see the wood from the trees.’ I also found that at times like that, struggling to find the answer, or the way out, only […]
I’ve been a volunteer at Cogges ever since it re-opened to the public on the 17th June, 2011. I remember the opening day very clearly. It was a typical English Summer day, the rain never stopped. But this didn’t seem to dampen the enthusiasm of the hundreds of people who turned out to support us. […]
A few years ago, I was on a plane bound for Edinburgh. I was going to attend a reunion with my school friends and was travelling on my own. Sitting next to me was a tall, blond-haired, American gentleman, aged about 40. Shortly after take off, we fell into conversation and what he told me […]
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain. I read this quote on Facebook and fell in love with it. I’ve now adopted it as my new motto and am trying to put it into practice. My website has the title, ‘Sunshine after the rain.’ […]
Anyone who follows my blog will be well aware of the fact that I’m a Downton Abbey fan and that I’m immensely pleased that Cogges is used as the setting of Yew Tree Farm, the home of Farmer Drewe and his wife, Margi. Having seen Lady Mary and Tom Branson visit the farm in series […]
Well it’s almost a month since I decided to take my own advice and be kind to myself. The relief I felt at taking the decision to defer from my Open University course for the time being has stayed with me. I did the right thing. It wasn’t until I removed that stress factor from […]
Years ago, I made a New Year’s resolution to give up up making any New Year’s resolutions. This has been one resolution that I’ve found easy to keep; up until now that is. In my last blog, ‘The best laid plans‘, I included this list of New Year’s resolutions that had been shared as a […]
2014 is about to come to an end. It’s been an amazing year for me. I’ve paraglided off a 1,700 metre high mountain, performed as part of the chorus for a performance of the Mikado, sang backing vocals on a CD and sung a solo on WOAPA’s annual WOAPA day, to name but a […]
Regular readers of my blog will know that I’m a member of WOAPA Adult Singing Group, we hesitate to call ourselves a choir. Over the last three years we’ve had some great adventures, singing at local beer and music festivals, recording a video for a local farmer and generally just having fun singing. But recently […]
- Be eccentric now! (no.21) November 24, 2013
- What’s holding you back from pursuing your dream? June 3, 2013
- Isn’t life funny! March 25, 2014
- What kind of butterfly are you? July 19, 2014
- Finding inspiration in an unexpected place. May 3, 2014
- When Life Gets Messy………. February 27, 2013
- Third Time Lucky September 19, 2016
- Just believe that good things are on their way. January 3, 2016
- The Scratch Messiah, my adventures continue. December 6, 2015
- Where is your escape? November 12, 2015
- New Career. October 20, 2015
- Downton Abbey’s back. October 1, 2015
- KiaIChueng: Wow, wonderful blog layout! How long have you been...
- FrankQZagara: You can certainly see your enthusiasm in the work ...
- isabel: I may have misheard what the young actress who was...
- C. Evans: Nellie Hozier was born in 1888. She was 26 when w...
- isabel: Thanks Debbie. Easier said than done sometimes. Bu...
- Debra Horrocks: Such an inspirational blog Isobel. You are most de...
About The Author
I have 2 wonderful sons and my first grandchild has arrived. I’ve recently had a short story included as an appendix in another author’s book. Very pleased.